Sweater Prep: A First Sweater Workshop
Sweaters are seen by many to be the Holy Grail of the fiber crafting world. They bring together the somewhat terrifying combination of purchasing large quantities of yarn, picking a pattern that will flatter the wearer, following a long and somewhat complex set of directions, getting the sizing and fit correct, and figuring out how to wash it and get it into the right shape and - sometimes - sew the blasted thing together.
It’s a lot.
Since we started the Intrepid Sweater Brigade in the winter of 2018, we’ve had requests from customers to take it a step further and provide an in-depth workshop to soothe anxiety and trepidation over the idea of working on full-sized garments for the first time. We hope that this workshop will give you the tools you need to approach your first sweater with more confidence! We’ll discuss pattern and yarn selection, how to swatch accurately, how to choose the size to make (and how to get your measurements!), and techniques that will come in handy for embarking on the adventure of your first garment. This class is 100% appropriate for crocheters and knitters.
- Class dates / times: Thursdays, August 6 / 13 / 20, 8 - 9 PM PST
- Class fee: $45 (includes handouts) - pay-what-you-can available
- Prerequisite skills: Basic stitches for your craft
- Materials: Pen/pencil for taking notes, basic tools of your craft to practice techniques - pick a hook / set of needles you’re comfortable with and smooth yarn to match.
- Homework: If you have a pattern in mind, bring it to class! This is a great opportunity to get all your questions answered and your planning squared away, just in time for starting a sweater for the fall and winter weather.